(Redirected from Genesis)
- Has filed for bankruptcy (20-1-2023):
"The company was battered by the fall of Three Arrows Capital and FTX and is under fire from the SEC. The company, which is a subsidiary of Digital Currency Group (DCG), says that it has more than $150 million in cash on hand, which it describes as "ample liquidity" to fund operations during the restructuring process."
November 8: "No material net credit exposure"
November 9: We lost $7M
November 10: Okay, we have $175M locked in FTX
November 16: Sorry, no withdrawals or new loans
November 17: Okay, we need $1BN
November 21: We'll go bankrupt without the money
- Genesis Global Capital, the lending arm of leading digital asset brokerage Genesis Trading, announced (16-11-2022) that it has halted withdrawals and new loans due to “unprecedented market turmoil” created by FTX’s collapse. Seemed to have had $175M locked in FTX.
- Has a BitLicence since 2018.
- Sponsored Coin Center
- Is listed as one of the investors in Fortuna
- Partners (2-4-2020) with iExec.
- Genesis CEO Michael Moro has confirmed that the crypto platform did indeed have exposure to Three Arrows Capital (7-7-2022).
- Maps.Me; part of a $50M raise together with Alameda Research and CMS (18-2-2021).
- Oxygen; part of a $40M raise together with Alameda and CMS (24-2-2021).
- Michael Moro; ex-CEO, stepped down on 17-8-2022. The firm will also cut 20% of its 260-person workforce to reduce costs. Later 30% was mentioned (6-1-2023).
- Founding member of the Crypto Rating Council (9-2019).
- Genesis is a CoinDesk sister company (24-2-2021).
- Customer of Fireblocks
Creditors of Genesis
- Recognizable names among Genesis creditors (20-1-2023):
- Gemini: $765m
- Mirana: $151m (120M of it turned out to be collateralized positions that got already liquidated)
- Moonalpha (Babel): $150m
- Coincident Cap (Mex/Finex Leaderboarders): $110m
- Decentraland: $55m
- VanEck: $53m
- Abra: $30m
- Cumberland: $18m
- Stellar Foundation: $13m